One of the areas I struggle in is coming up with the seed to start a story. As such, I really enjoy challenges like Kink Bingo, because they give me the starter seed to get going. I’ve amassed some of my favorite places to find writing prompts that get my creative juices flowing.
1. 250 Erotic Prompts – Much like Kink Bingo, this list of 250 prompts are mostly words or phrases to help start a story.
2. Romance Story Starters – This site lists a romance story starter once per week or so, in calendar format. They are also categorized. Not all of them are great, but it’s a good place to start.
3. Creative Prompts About Romance – 10 story starter prompts and 10 poetry prompts.
4. Kink Bingo – the Kink Bingo I go on about frequently. This is a link to their communal cards, because the actual game is closed for signups this year.
5. Five Fun Quickies – Five quick prompts. Aimed at erotica, but they could really go any direction.
6. Prompts That Don’t Suck – Self proclaimed awesome writing prompts, and I think the name fits.
7. Creative Writing Prompts – A few of these really caught my eye, particularly 7 and 26.
8. Tumblr tags – This hardly counts, but I’ve found brilliance by searching tumblr for “romance writing prompts.”
9. RWA Prompts – The Romance Writers of America sometimes post good writing prompts to their blog.
I tried my damnedest to make this a list of 10, but I just couldn’t dig up any more prompt sites that I personally like that much. I hate clicking through a prompt site going “No, that’s stupid” and “Ugh, never,” so here I’ve shared things that I genuinely use and want to revisit later. I hope you’ve found it useful too!